Saturday, September 23, 2006

Ramadan Mubarak!!!

Ramadan Mubarak!

Its Ramadan already, wow. That came fast. Thankfully I'm here for it. :) I've talked to a few people about this already but I thought I'd put it up here as well. I feel that last year compared to previous years, I really felt the spirit of Ramadan more. I think its because in previous years I've been busy with exams or I've had friends and family around me and you just take so much for granted. Even when I was in India I at least went to Hyderabad for Eid and some ppl at work took me for iftar (when we open our fast) sometimes.

Last year was quite different. I felt a lot more alone. Wake up and have sehri alone (food before starting the fast) and then at the end opening it alone. No iftar parties to go to, no family to visit every weekend. But I did quite a bit of reading on Islam then and I did meet some ppl in the city for an iftar dinner and an Eid dinner. And I guess b/c I was looking for it more or maybe b/c when you starve for something it tastes better, I don't know. I just enjoyed Ramadan. I also read a lot of other ppl talking about enjoying it and smiles and happiness are contagious. :)

And you know what, last night (or was it this morning) I felt really happy again. Which was awesome. I just felt like, Yay, its Ramadan.

And last year, I didnt' know if it Ramadan started today or tomorrow or what was going on (its a lunar calendar and depends on the spotting of the moon). And I didn' t have anyone to ask. And same deal with Eid which was really confusing too. But this time I did! And afer i found out, i had plenty of ppl to txt and call and say Eid Mubarak to. And that felt great too.

Oh and thursday i wanted some food with salan (soupy sauce) b/c normally the restaurants I go to are dry, spiced well, but dry. And then friday. Soupy! Yes! Such small things, but it makes me smile and happy. Sometimes we need to stop and remember how truly blessed we are for all the things we have in this world. :)

2 comments:

MnM310 said...

yaay ramadan mubarak to u too! I totally understand the doing sahoor alone part..bites man! But aH this year i have some awesome muslim roomates who make it easy..so the 3 of us all get up for sahoor, have iftaar and pray taraweeh together. SubhanAllah, feels almost like home :D

wasalaam,

Madiha

Ahmed said...

Salaam Madiha,

Thats sounds awesome! Its so nice to have that. :)

I dont' quite have that, but I feel like I have many more ppl to talk to and I'm meeting some friends for iftar in the city next saturday so, its nice. :)